Thursday, February 22, 2007

Duleep Trophy to become non-zonal meet

here.

This is a welcome development which, if followed through and implemented, will not only make the domestic scene more competitive, but should go a long way in creating the feeder system for the National team.

I have opined before on the need to revive the 'A' tours concept and if the Duleep and Deodhar Trophies are streamlined as suggested in the article, they can be an additional filter in identifying personnel for the 'A' team.

The only hitch that I see is that there may be issues with providing adequate representation to the bottom rung teams in each of the three proposed Ranji groups.

That said, I hope this proposal does not go the way of this..

PS: What is the BCCIs official stance on using the Kookaburra ball in domestic cricket? Is Kookaburra still the flavor of the month?

Update :- The proposed Ranji structure

1 comment:

Mohan Krishnamoorthy : : said...

Homer, I think there are some good ideas that are worthy of merit in the new proposal. But as I say on my blog (http://i3j3cricket.wordpress.com) I think that this still falls a bit short. Nine teams is at least 2 too many. And they need to play each other home-and-away to make it interesting. I had suggested an alternative scenario a month or so back at http://mohankaus.blogspot.com

However, the main point that I wish to make here is that the direction is good. It really depends on how Group A, B and C are chosen. Random? Disaster... Seeding? Politics.

-- Mohan