Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Homer for coach

With absolutely no reluctance at all, without concern for friends and family, Homer is gleefully putting his hat into the ring for position of Coach - Team BCCI.

Here are his qualifications -

1. Resident of the USA - Hello "We need a foreign coach" lobby

2. Indian passport holder - Hello " Only an Indian can do the job of coach"lobby

3. No International cricketing background - A bow in the direction of John Buchanan. In fact, unless you consider rubber ball under arm with "one bounce outs" and "six and out" and "full toss on the wall is out" as the real deal, he has no cricketing experience at all.

4. Willing to work with players - Not only willing to work with players, willing to do the players work. Homer is a guy who had famously offered to be the lift man at Sportsfield. He will be more than willing to carry the players kit bags (coffins), run their laps for them, keep tossing balls at them during nets all day and then runs their laps for them, substitute for them during catch practice and the run their laps for them, make tea and biscuit mandatory before and after every net and then run laps - you get the drift..

5. Manage players - Like every fan worth his two paisa, Homer will go above and beyond the call of duty and pander to player egos. Homer does fawning adulation better than most.

6. Blogger and so experience in handling media matters - Newspaper wallah's/ TV wallah's khush

7. Resident of Mumbai -Namaskaar Ravi dada Shastri, Diliprao Vengsarkar, Param Pujya Shri Sunilraoji Gavaskar, Mananiya Shri Sharadchandraji Raoji Pawarji.

8. Refers to self in the third person - Shades of Michael Vaughan.. And we know what Vaughan did to those vagabonds from Down Under because they lacked manners.

9. Willing to work with coaching staff - Will play catch with Robin Singh ( since there will be no one else to who will be willing to).. Will work long with Venky Prasad to learn the nuances of bowling juicy half volleys and juicier full tosses at the nets.

10. Work with the BCCI - $20,000 a month is $20,000 too many for a role any lay person on the streets of India is willing to do.Especially when lodging and boarding come free with the job. He will not complain of crowded itineraries- who does not like to fly business class for free and bump up their frequent flier miles? And who in their right minds will say no to staying in luxurious hotels with stocked liquor cabinets?

11. Brilliant with Power Point - who does not like jazzy presentations with lots of buzz words thrown in?
--
Homer will do a stellar job of coaching the team. In fact, he will let the team coach him. And I have already started stocking up on the sledges we will use against the Poms.

Doni, Rahul, VVS, repeat after me - "Kev Pieterson has no taste - in women".

PS:- Sportsfield is a building in Mumbai that houses the whoz who of Mumbai cricket.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second the motion.

Anonymous said...

I ...err ... third the motion ...

Anonymous said...

However, I propose that selection duties be left to the honorary selection committee and not to shri homerji (henceforth referred to as the coach). and it is further resolved that the said selection committee shall not take any suggestions , however vociferous or subtle, on the blog or otherwise, from the coach, and be guided or be given directives only by the honorary lalit modi ji. may it also be noted that shri homer ji while applying for the position of "the coach" did not pay respects to shri modi....(just a silly point)

Homer said...

Sfx,
Lalit Modi is my God and the center of my Universe!!!!!

Each one of those nine letters in his name reek of greatness ( look at me, I am great!).

Rashmika said...

I'm convinced Homer, you have my vote too. You have all the essential qualities, none more important than massaging those over inflated egos within the board and management. Looks like you have a degree in that so you go boy!!

Homer said...

Thanks Rashmika...New Delhi, Here I come :)

Anonymous said...

Coach? Isn't that the thing you use to get from the ground to the hotel?

Homer said...

Ian,

Thanks for stopping by..

I used to be a coach driver, so I can do that role too :)

Anonymous said...

Coach? Isn't that the thing you take to get from the hotel to the ground ?
(notice my originality, mate!)

Homer said...

Aye Shane.. I hear that the first time.. Time for some spin, Hollywood!

Anonymous said...

The crazy part is - somewhere in Delhi, the BCCI will be meting sometime now.
One of them will be switching on their laptops as I finish typing this. Even as you read this he'll get to his Homepage ("Google") and type (Coach+applicant+BCCI). Listed somewhere there will be this page which they are reading out N-O-W ..(How's it hangin' Sharad?)...
And Homer's little joke could be true. (Emburey nearly came true, didn't it!)

Samir Chopra said...

Homer, if you are appointed coach, can you please bring me on board as consultant philosopher/psychologist? I could teach the boys a little inner strength - make them read Nietzsche for instance, "whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" and other nuggets.

Homer said...

Aye Samir.. But what if you tell them "Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"

samir said...

Perhaps I should stick to shairi after nets?

Homer said...

Samir, how about Media Liaison Officer? God knows the Indian media needs positive reinforcement all the time with a rocket up their backside every so often :)

Anonymous said...

You won't have credibility unless you have an entourage.

I'll happily be the musculoskeletalinjuriologist .
I can spot a fake injury from miles away.
No more 'tennis' elbows in cricketers (for god's sake, we know the difference between tennis and cricket, right?).

If you do not want a player in the team,
I'll guarantee he has an incurable injury.

Homer said...

Thanks ©hinaman.. I could use all the support I can get..

Media Liasion Officer cum Shayar.
Musculoskeletalinjuriologist

any other volunteers? Remuneration will be adequate.

Anonymous said...

Homer

I'll be Bart.

Homer said...

Sfx,

Welcome aboard!.