as I type this. Which was not altogether surprising. For two reasons -
1. The bowling team , rather the batsmen from the fielding side, would not have expected to be put in to bat at the fag end of the game. Any realistic possibility of a declaration would have come at around tea time or if Sussex had bundled out the Indians. To bat out 40 overs on Day 4 does not generally figure in the game plan.
2. Chasing 273 in 40 overs in a 4 day game is an unrealistic target. Given that, the thinking is to play for time rather than play for runs. And that mindset is akin to handing over the initiative to the bowlers on a platter.Which is what Sussex did. And what the Indians capitalized on.
India has got what it wanted out of this game.. Batsmen had a hit, bowlers stretched their legs, fielders had their time in the sun.
We also gained valuable insight on the team composition for the first test.
The declaration and the resultant score card sends a message to the Poms. Of intent. Of the fact that India is ready to create and seize initiatives ( not quite like the Aussies, but better than anything the Poms fronted upto this summer).
The worst thing the Indians could do with 5 overs remaining in the game will be to over try in getting the remaining three wickets. Because those wickets do not matter. 140/7 is a much better card to read than 152/8.
Because that would indicate that the Sussex tailenders creamed 21 runs in 5 overs off the Indian bowling for the loss of only 1 wicket. And that India could not quite close the deal despite trying hard. And that in turn will be a huge dampener in the dressing room.
Rather , settle for 140/7 and a draw with all the brownie points in the bag. And the confidence that India can push itself if it wants to. And the fact that India had Sussex under the cosh despite losing the better part of two sessions on Day 3.
And a favorable press is not a bad thing either.
PS:- Okay, now I am confused. The scorecard reads 152/7 at the end of the 41st over and there are 14 more overs to play after this. Are they making up for time lost yesterday or did I misread the CricInfo scoresheet?
PPS:- Bowling Ranadeb Bose for one over - bad idea. There are less cruel ways of killing a bowlers confidence than removing him after one over because the last ball of his over was slogged by a tailender.
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Sussex 131/7
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
1 more to go Homer.....
yup Prabu.. :)
worthless piece of shits we both are watching this game on Cricinfo and Cricbuzz and not doing the work we are supposed to do... :)
Prabu,
I wouldn't quite categorize us that way.. Passionate we are, following a non consequential game against an inconsequential team only because India is playing :)
Yeah...mad Indian-cricket romantics...
and who can blame us!! We are like that only..
:)
I think you, Kartikeyan, SFX and I belong in the same category - I find that we leave out the cynicism (based on your blogs and my views). Prem, Manish and the rest of folks there are turning to be overly cynical. Prem used to be one of the romantics in the late 90s. The India AOL blog is more of a neo-fan site wavering between praise and criticism in the garb of neutrality (think Sriram Ranganathan) and i3j3 is sometimes sanctimonius but some authors are romantics... your take
Jai Kumble Jai Kumble Jai Kumble Jai Kumble....
Prabu,
Everyone has an opinion.Everyone has a manner of presenting that opinion. Personally, I respect that.
And we are the richer for having this diversity of opinion.
I may or may not agree with the point of view, but the argument presented helps mould a more informed opinion down the road.
C'mon Homer.... I am not saying I don't respect their opinion, that's why I still read their blogs. Just describing the general tone of their thoughts (maybe I do criticize Sriram Ranganthan's posts).
Prabu,
I am not saying you dont respect varied opinions; just responding to your question on what my take is on various blogs and blogging styles.
Cheers,
no offense.. c'mon was for you not giving an opinion :)
anyway..match drawn - crap
On to the next game and back to work here...
lol :)
You have a wonderful day Prabu.
Cheers
Post a Comment