Anil Kumble to lead 15-member Karnataka Ranji squad
VVS Laxman to lead 15-member Hyderabad Ranji squad
My two tips for India captaincy will be leading their squads in the Ranji Trophy this year.. And they both will have tough games first up - Karnataka plays Mumbai while Hyderabad tangles with Bengal.
Both games should contain useful pointers on which of the two make the grade ( and I hope SRT is not made skipper please please please!).
Monday, October 29, 2007
I'll be watching
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Hi Homer
i've created a new site called Cricket Zone - Everything about Cricket
http://cricketzone.corank.com/
it's a Co-operative Ranking site (kinda like digg,com) where users can submit stories & vote for the best ones they choose from the upcoming stories panel.
my motive is to make it the digg.com for cricket based sites
i would be grateful if you could check it out & let me know your comments on it,
Regards,
Maverick
I liked the look and feel of the site Maverick..Navigation was pretty intuitive ..
Where do I sign up?
Cheers
Whatever happened to your first choice captain Mr. Kaif? I have nothing against SRT not being made a captain. But out of the 2 players you speak of, VVS is not a surety in the team and Kumble can only be a stopgap arrangement..
homer
it seems that you are spending more energy and efforts on commenting than posting in your blog these days...
your posts are certainly being missed and i do hope it will be as regular as it has been...specially with so much happening...
Yes thats a very true straight point !
Rahul,
Kaif cannot break into the team which basically puts paid to that.
Either one of SRT, VVS and Kumble are going to be stop gaps - I do not see them playing test cricket for more than 2 years.
The advantage VVS and Anil Kumble have are threefold
Good cricketing brains.
They play only one format of the game unlike SRT and I am not sure having a situation where SRT plays under MSD in ODIs and vice versa in Tests is a healthy situation.
Less polarizing. SRT per se has what it takes to captain, but with the additional baggage of the "Mumbai lobby", how effective will he be?
Cheers
Straight Point and Jane,
I plead guilty. Partly because of work and other such worldly activities and partly because I am waiting for the domestic season to start, blogging has been sporadic..
I promise that will change over the next few days :)
Cheers
Homer, SRT being the skipper has nothing to do with the Mumbai lobby. And the reason for his failure as skipper in earlier 2 stints shouldnt be lack of his leadership skills, but the quality of the players given to him and the non-cooperation he got from the ex-skipper then.
Sam,
I agree, but that still does not mean that fingers wont be pointed towards him and the selectors..
Also, MSD and SRT being in the same team and reporting to each other in different formats of the game is not going to be a good thing for Indian cricket.
That said, Anil Kumble and VVS Laxman have it in them to lead - how they go about thier jobs will be known in the Ranji games.. Hence my keenness.
Cheers
Homer, VVS can't be the captain because of the same reason as Kaif.. He cant walk into the first XI every time..
Kumble is a great team man but a captain who knows?.. and given his bowling in the last test against England, I am not so sure he will play a pivotal role even in our Test Match team over the next 2 years..
So let us hope for atleast a captain who walks into the XI as a player and not because he is the captain.. Look at Shoaib Malik.. Do you really think he is a good enough player to be in the Pak test XI? I don't
Rahul,
How VVS and Kumble shape up as batsman and bowler respectively will be seen in the opening games of the Ranji Trophy.
And their captaincy will be under the scanner too.
Like you, I too do not know how good, bad or indifferent they are in their captaincy roles.
I agree that the person who becomes captain should be a certainty in the Test side..MSD is one. SRT is another.So is Kumble.
My reservations on SRT being Test captain and MSD being ODI captain are known.
Making MSD the Test captain will cripple him - 5 days under the sun keeping, batting and captaining and marshaling players who are way senior - tough ask in the best of circumstances.
That leaves Kumble.. But there are question marks on his ability to lead. So then, the Ranji Trophy!
Cheers
Post a Comment