First off the bat, A Happy New Year to all of you good people out there. Having binged on the food and the drink and the cricket in India,I had very little time to blog - there is only so much a man can do in a day ( especially if u factor in long hours of siesta to go with the food and the drink !).
2007 ended the way 2007 began - with a crawl.
Then, it was Newlands. Now, it was Melbourne. And in between, there were plenty of lows to make 2007 the "annus horribilis" for Indian cricket.
--
India was fun.. I nearly went to see the last day's play of the Mumbai - Saurashtra game. Mercifully, I was detained with work (who knew!) and so I caught the game on TV. And saw Ramesh Powar and Vinayak Samant play the most horrendous of forehand cross court overheads that basically gave the game away to Saurashtra.
For a team to collapse from 378/3 to 463 all out chasing 484 is criminal. At home, even more so. Against a team that you used to beat for fun; unpardonable.
---
Had an interesting conversation with an uncle of mine on the apparent "demise" of cricket in Mumbai. Club cricket, he said, is on the wane in Mumbai. The Kanga League and the Times Shield are no longer the marquee tournaments on the cricketing calender. The Gymkhana system is on the decline with Dadar Union or Shivaji Park Gymkhanas not quite what they were in the 80s. And offices do not recruit cricketers anymore.
The only thing going about is age group cricket.
And the problem with age group cricket is that all of the kids in the age group level are roughly the same age. And because of this, there is no "mentoring" a la club cricket wherein a 40 year old grizzled veteran of many a skirmish would be around to guide a 16 year old colt on the intricacies and vagaries of the game.
And because the "mentoring" no longer exists, there is a lot less cricketing savvy on display - kids have all the skills coaching can get you but implementing those skills and thinking about the game is a whole different story altogether.
---
Played some cricket myself while in India..Was an experience.
Here I was with a bunch of 15 year olds who played schools cricket. Every single one of them was coached. And, as with every kid in today's day and age, each one of them was privy to television and the nuances of the game ( batting, bowling and fielding) that the visual medium exposes.
And , to a man, they did exactly what we uncoached neanderthals did when we were young - the fielding was abysmal, there was no thinking when it came to the batting or bowling. Fielders stood on their heels, no one backed up the ball, the batting approach was unplanned and the bowling was about putting the ball there and there abouts...
Some things never change !
---
Having spent the 1st of January on the plane and being jet lagged, I missed all of the first day's play between India and Australia at Sydney.
But, I did read all about it in the newspapers and blogs ( thank you!).
I am amazed the term "Bucknored" has not entered the cricketing lexicon as yet.. It could be the 12th mode of dismissal you know.. After the run outs and the caught behinds and the LBWs, there is the "Bucknored". :)
--
There has been a lot of talk of using more technology in cricket to minimize umpiring decision. On the face of it, sounds like a plan. But, and here is the catch, technology is not fool proof. And can be tampered with.
I remember reading during one of India's tour to South Africa that SABC had not provided all the camera angles for line decisions involving the South Africans, making the third umpire's job doubly difficult.
And then there was the Scott Muller "Cant bat, cant bowl" comment that was attributed to Shane Warne but was by a Channel 9 cameraman and which was telecast world wide.
Which raises the question of integrity and malice.
What if some overzealous production team decides the home team must get the benefit every time - what is to prevent video or audio tampering?
And can the ICC standardize the tools and the camera angles production companies must make available for umpires?Should "Hot Spot" be a standard? What about "Tracker"? And "Super Slo mo"?
And what of the cost? And what about innovation if production houses are boxed into providing only "X" number of tools to the umpires?
--
Saw the Rahul Dravid - VVS Laxman duet in its entirety. And for the first time in a very long time, Rahul Dravid looked in control. Bangalore had been a disaster as had Melbourne.. Even during the 50 against Pakistan, Rahul Dravid did not look in control of the proceedings and his game.
Maybe it was the way he left the ball or maybe it was the forward defense. Maybe it was the desire to run the quick single.. Maybe it was just me.. Whatever it was, the Rahul Dravid innings augurs well for him and India for the rest of the series. Somewhat like the second innings at Brisbane in 2003.
And here is Peter Roebuck on the Very Very Special innings.
--
And finally, remember this sledge?
I was reminded of this while watching Dwayne Bravo's heroics against South Africa.. Three years later, there is one guy playing to win against the Proteas while the other is nursing a bruised ankle when he is not busy nursing a drink.
Wonder what Freddie makes of it!
Thursday, January 03, 2008
Season's Greetings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Hi Homer,
Awesome observations... the fact on age group cricket being a drawback on the aspects of mentoring was good... had never looked at it from this angle. Your points on TV production being not fool proof is absolutely valid. Nice... cheers
am adding you to my roll
Homer,
Welcome back and a Happy New Year. I have to add, based on your last observation, that you are a CRUEL man. :)
Welcome back Homer. Nice recollections there of your India trip.
The Kanga League and the Times Shield are no longer the marquee tournaments on the cricketing calender
Unfortunately, the same has happened in Delhi. There were any number of tournaments and leagues at one time. The Goswami Ganesh Dutt cricket tournament used to see some fine performances. Then there was the DDCA Hot Weather cricket League...I really don't know what happens out there and if it actually continues as a serious event.
Your observations on age-group cricket are spot on. Being a father of a son who is being "coached" in an "academy", I have observed the same. The cricketing instincts either remain underdeveloped or not developed at all in most cases. It helps in some ways, but takes a lot of individual development away.
Bucknored...this could be considered. Is there some way to petition the MCC? It can affect cricket watcher's too...I was seriously bucknored the first day and have some regrets about the blog post that followed (wink).
And best wishes to you and yours for the new year.
By the way, till I reached Freddie, I thought it was Zak you were speaking of.
Scorpicity,
I am in the same boat as you - I had not considered the decline of the club culture and its impact on mentoring till it was told to me :).
And thanks for adding me to your blog roll :)
Cheers
Prabu,
You have no idea :)... Happy New Year
Cheers
Soulberry,
A Happy New Year to you.
Mumbai had, at one point in time, 74 different tournaments running through out the year.. This included University cricket, age group cricket, schools and club cricket.. I wonder how many tourneys still take place and what the participation is..
There was also a time when the Times of India would religiously carry the scores from the Times and Talim and Giles and Harris Shields, the Kanga league and about any other local tourney that was on.. These days, one will be hard pressed to read anything about local cricket in Mumbai.
As regards coaching, what shucks me is that these kids are able to play the most immaculate cover drives but cannot string together a strategy to pace their innings - there just does not seem to be the peripheral awareness you would expect.
To give you an example - we were playing a 6 over game per side with darkness fast approaching.. We batted first and I proposed we bat out the 6 overs as darkness would have set in and the opposition would find run scoring difficult.
Next thing you know, the team is playing kamikaze cricket like it was the last ball of the last over of the game and 6 runs were needed to win off it..
I know I have been guilty of the same when I was a kid, but I expected a bit more savvy from these kids..
Cheers :)
Homer,
happy new year to you and welcome back to blogging...you were missed here...
Straight Point,
A Happy New Year to you and thank you very much :)
Cheers
'annus horriblus'?????
well if the ODI world cup really matters to you that much, a series win agst England, Pak and a T20 win doesnt make it a horrible year atleast.. if u still feel that.. god save India..
About your observations on local kanga club and your local cricketers who played for 6 overs.. I don't know of any gully cricket team in the world, which doesn't bat first.. irrespective of time.. does it really require that much logic (about light etc) to bat first.. on the local kanga club etc.. isn't that being replaced by the lesser sides of the country.. remember Dhoni/ RP Singh and so many others.. civilizations prosper and decay.. but just because Mumbai/ Delhi are not producing quality cricketers doesn't mean the end of the wirld for this country does it?
Rahul,
Throw in the Greg Chappell grand standing,the Board reaction after the World Cup, the constant and daily friction between the players and the administration and the selectors, the saga of the search for the Indian coach, the crawl at the Newlands and the Oval, the series loss to England in ODIs and it does not make for pleasant reading. Or viewing.
Cheers
Rahul,
Two things -
1. With regards to the gully cricket game, the point I was trying to make was that for all the coaching these kids go through, the basic approach to cricket has remained unchanged from the time I used to play the game. I was expecting a lot more savvy from them, but it did not turn out that way.
2. Sure, the rest of the country is producing quality cricketers but it is the decline in standards of Mumbai cricket that are of interest to me. I am not privy to the structure of local cricket in Delhi or Chennai. I am privy to the structure of cricket in Mumbai and if there is a marked decline in how we approach and play our game, then it is a concern.
Cheers
Homer,
you can be pleased only if you were supporting Australia.. but then you would talk about their cricketing standards.. So a horrible year, it was not for India.. watever you might say..
A decline of Mumbai cricket is not equivalent to a decline of INDIAN cricket is it?
Amen
Rahul,
I am afraid I dont understand the co-relation.
I related a conversation on one of the possible reasons for the decline of cricket in Mumbai. How does that dovetail with the decline of cricket in India?
Cheers
in what way are you privy to the cricket structure in Mumbai currently? just wondering
Well Rahul, I know what the Giles Shield and the Harris Shield and the Talim Shield are for.. I have a pretty decent idea of what the different age group/club/Office competitions are and roughly when they are held.
I claim no such knowledge of the structures in places like Delhi or Chennai :)
Cheers
Post a Comment