Tuesday, June 24, 2008

25/06/1983

This is not a post about the World Cup, nor a paean to Kapil's Devils. Truth be told, there is very little of the cricket that I can recall from that fateful day, 25 years ago.

Repeated viewings of the semis and the finals have entrenched the narrative, but of that specific day, I carry only three memories.

The first is of the odds: 66 to 1 on India winning.

The second - an old Dyanora b/w TV set that we saw the match on

The third and the most lasting - of my father smoking.Not because of the tension of the finals. Or because of India's low total. Nor because he chain smoked.

The reason for the cigarettes and him resembling a chimney was courtesy his wife. And children.Because every time he left the room to light up, a West Indian wicket fell.

I remember vividly him losing his patience when Richards' wicket fell. Because he could not get to see the catch. No more cigarettes said he. No more cigarettes, said us.

He did oblige once, and two wickets fell in succession. And that was that.. No more cigarettes. For keeps.

And Dujon and Marshall started to put together a partnership.And the tone and tenor of our pleadings grew correspondingly- the three of us pleading, begging, imploring and even threatening him to light up once more - for India's sake.

When the last wicket fell, I dont remember watching Mohinder Amarnath's run to the Lords pavilion.. What I remember is a rather grumpy man who had missed out on a chance to watch India make history. And the recriminations that come with such grumpiness.

It was that kind of a day.

16 comments:

Sailesh Ganesh said...

ROFL, Homer. How many times have we done something like that? Unfortunately, I was too young to even know what cricket was, so absolutely no memories of that day.

Q said...

Brilliant!!

Did ur dad ever smoke after that?

Gaurav Sethi said...

Homer: that was a rollicking read! And while I read on, it's crazy, but I could see a hazy smoke laden figure of yr Dad puffing out of the room where I watched the game.

Since then it's syonora dyanora, but man, you sure hit the back to the B&W days. And I loved the bit that you didn't recall any cricket - too many total recalls there.

Homer said...

Sailesh,

I was old enough to realize that it was a significant achievement, but too young to know the significance of that achievement :)

Cheers,

Homer said...

Q,

For a week after that, he didnt.. But cant say the same about his grumpiness :)

Cheers,

Homer said...

Its funny Naked, but the only thing I remember of the finals was Sunil Valson waving from the Lords balcony..

Cheers :)

Prabu said...

You must be younger than me then Homer! I remember watching Kapil's catch being shown on NEWS rather than live, remember Mohinder's wickets, the WI man with a yellow shirt (I think) on the floor and Srikkanth soaking in the champagne. Those were the days....

Homer said...

Prabu,

Those were indeed the days :)

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Nice one man.. Luvd reading it.. :) Ofcourse I wasnt born then but wish I were.. That must be some day....

Homer said...

lifeizlikethat,

Thanks for your comments and welcome to the blog.

It was a pretty low key day really - the celebrations were pretty low key too ( probably because it was late at night when the game got over and the spread of TV was not anywhere near what it is today).

Pretty surreal, if you ask me..The first real celebrations I recall were after the 1985 World Championship Series in Australia - more TV sets and a lot morer people clued into the game :)

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Nice one

Homer said...

Casino Royale,

Thanks for the comments and welcome to the blog :)

Cheers,

Homer said...

la vida loca,

Thanks for the comments and welcome to the blog :)

Cheers,

Swapna said...

That was a good one! :)

Homer said...

Thanks Swapna and welcome to the blog :)

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

hi homerians
i am off cigarettes for the last 4 years, no more grumpy still i am made to leave the room to ensure india's on the rare occassions that they enter the finals. almost all the important matches have been seen only in instant replays. never in live thanks to my wife and homer if and when he is in india. What sacrifices an old man has to do to keep the divorce lawyers away