I am glad you bring up history and the knowledge ( or lack thereof) because a look at the records tells me that Australia have won only one series in India in about 38 years or 7 trips ( however you want to look at it).
History also tell me that since the Border Gavaskar Trophy came into existence, India, at home, have won 6 tests ( and 3 series) to Australia's 4 Tests ( and 1 series).
So remind me again, whats there not to be optimistic about?
You are right about that homer, infact i just pointed that out to the editor of cricketnext something similar. He said, "The fact is that for the first time in a long time, the Australians are coming here with a definite prospect of losing the series." I pointed out that if they have only one once in 30 years, i'd say they would usually come with the prospect of losing.
I am not talking about against Australia, I mean in the history of Indian cricket, I never met more optimistic fans, it must take so much energy to get yourself up time and time again, only to find that you win less than 50% of your games.
I will never forget the walk to the wanderers for the 2003 world cup, the Indian supporters were the cockiest i have ever come across. It was if they hadn't seen the rest of the tournament.
I am glad you recognize the optimism of the Indian fan. As we say around here "We are like that only!" :)
As regards the 2003 WC, I saw the rest of the tournament in 2003 and except for the match against Australia when we folded up for 125, I had no reason to be disappointed.
And I believe that was the sentiment of a lot of the Indian fans at the Wanderers..
Well since the final was against the team they made 125 against, and the undefeated title holders, i would have expected more realistic belief, rather than the 15 or so Indians who told me i should go home because india was not only going to win, but kill Australia and that without Warne we had no team, as i walked to the ground.
Soooooo, beating Australia in the finals of the World Cup of 2003 is realistic belief "but kill Australia and that without Warne we had no team" is blind optimism...
Did you watch the Irani Trophy match today? If you had you would know that there is nothing to be optimistic of for the Indian fans.
Indian team, especially batting looks in shambles. Dravid is in terrible form and I just can't imagine how miraculously he'll start hammering the 'inexperienced'Australian bowler when he could only scratch against Nehra, Sangwan, Nanda and co and struggled to T against Ishant. Tendulkar will be returning after yet another injury straight into the test match without any prior match practice, if he returns, that is. Laxman can't run between the wickets and is certainly suffering from groin or hamstring or knee trouble and the newbie Badrinath failed against a quality bowler yet again, nor did Kaif or Dhoni make an impression.
Chandan, I did not watch the Irani Trophy - no direct transmission here..
That said, the article by Jaideep Ghosh was about not giving the Australian a free run - of not playing nice.
And I am not underestimating the Australian challenge, but I am not going to go overboard and be awed by their reputation - they are a good side, but that is it.. They are not God's gift to mankind nor are they doing us any favors by playing us.
We raise our game every time we play Australia.. I am expecting more of the same.
And this time around, it will be bowling and not batting that will determine the final result. And I think we are pretty okay there :)
I'm not even talking about Australia. It is the Indian team which appears in a mess.
And if Indians will bat like what they did in Lanka, they'll certainly lose the series. They have to improve mightily from that and I can't see that happening. That is what is worrying me.
15 comments:
For a team that just lost to Sri Lanka, you seem to have alot of confidence over there.
Tells you all you want to know of the competition, doesn't it?
Cheers,
In my history of watching sports, i have never seen a bunch of supporters be as perpetually optimistic as Indian supporters.
It's as if they have no knowledge of history, and all those previous disappointments mean nothing.
Brilliant.
UJ,
I am glad you bring up history and the knowledge ( or lack thereof) because a look at the records tells me that Australia have won only one series in India in about 38 years or 7 trips ( however you want to look at it).
History also tell me that since the Border Gavaskar Trophy came into existence, India, at home, have won 6 tests ( and 3 series) to Australia's 4 Tests ( and 1 series).
So remind me again, whats there not to be optimistic about?
Cheers,
You are right about that homer, infact i just pointed that out to the editor of cricketnext something similar. He said, "The fact is that for the first time in a long time, the Australians are coming here with a definite prospect of losing the series." I pointed out that if they have only one once in 30 years, i'd say they would usually come with the prospect of losing.
I am not talking about against Australia, I mean in the history of Indian cricket, I never met more optimistic fans, it must take so much energy to get yourself up time and time again, only to find that you win less than 50% of your games.
I will never forget the walk to the wanderers for the 2003 world cup, the Indian supporters were the cockiest i have ever come across. It was if they hadn't seen the rest of the tournament.
UJ,
I am glad you recognize the optimism of the Indian fan. As we say around here "We are like that only!" :)
As regards the 2003 WC, I saw the rest of the tournament in 2003 and except for the match against Australia when we folded up for 125, I had no reason to be disappointed.
And I believe that was the sentiment of a lot of the Indian fans at the Wanderers..
So what am I missing here?
Cheers,
Well since the final was against the team they made 125 against, and the undefeated title holders, i would have expected more realistic belief, rather than the 15 or so Indians who told me i should go home because india was not only going to win, but kill Australia and that without Warne we had no team, as i walked to the ground.
That is blind optimism.
UJ,
Soooooo, beating Australia in the finals of the World Cup of 2003 is realistic belief "but kill Australia and that without Warne we had no team" is blind optimism...
I can live with that..
But then again, we are like that only :)
Cheers,
From my vantage, "we are like that only", is the perfect summation.
From my vantage, "we are like that only", is the perfect summation.
Homer,
Did you watch the Irani Trophy match today? If you had you would know that there is nothing to be optimistic of for the Indian fans.
Indian team, especially batting looks in shambles. Dravid is in terrible form and I just can't imagine how miraculously he'll start hammering the 'inexperienced'Australian bowler when he could only scratch against Nehra, Sangwan, Nanda and co and struggled to T against Ishant. Tendulkar will be returning after yet another injury straight into the test match without any prior match practice, if he returns, that is. Laxman can't run between the wickets and is certainly suffering from groin or hamstring or knee trouble and the newbie Badrinath failed against a quality bowler yet again, nor did Kaif or Dhoni make an impression.
Why are you optimistic?
Chandan,
I did not watch the Irani Trophy - no direct transmission here..
That said, the article by Jaideep Ghosh was about not giving the Australian a free run - of not playing nice.
And I am not underestimating the Australian challenge, but I am not going to go overboard and be awed by their reputation - they are a good side, but that is it.. They are not God's gift to mankind nor are they doing us any favors by playing us.
We raise our game every time we play Australia.. I am expecting more of the same.
And this time around, it will be bowling and not batting that will determine the final result. And I think we are pretty okay there :)
Cheers,
I'm not even talking about Australia. It is the Indian team which appears in a mess.
And if Indians will bat like what they did in Lanka, they'll certainly lose the series. They have to improve mightily from that and I can't see that happening. That is what is worrying me.
As for transmission, you can try the streaming from cricketnirvana.com where you can do the following:
http://mfile.akamai.com/45283/live/reflector:36994.asx = put in vlc or ur favorite media player (supports mms)
This is what many of the fellow forummers were doing.
Chandan,
There are two warm up matches for us to know where the Aussie batting is at, no?
And thanks much for the link..Very much appreciated...Hello late nighTS!!
Cheers,
Post a Comment