Thursday, January 22, 2009

David Warner

Shahid Afridi, minus the legspin.

"If you dont get Warner out, you lose" - Ian Healy. When supposedly neutral commentators get so carried by the hype that they lose all objectivity and with that,clarity, what chance do poor selectors have?

13 comments:

Leela said...

I just got back from watching the game at a friend's house and was surprised by the usage of the word "legend"/Jayasurya when Warner reached his 50.
Someone tell these people to calm down!! Haven't they heard of Sehwag, McCullum, Yuvi, Pieterson..or even Gilly..
Tch Tch..

Homer said...

Leela,

My introduction to David Warner was his 12 ball 7 in the second T20, an innings that could be explained away by him being carried away with the hype.

Thye second time I saw him was in the 2nd ODI where he made 5, again explained by the hectic travel schedule in the lead up to that appearance.

This is my third viewing of him and I must admit I am completely unimpressed. Warner is like Afridi, great when the mojo is with him but a manufacturer of shots on every other occasion.

I think he will be found out big time in the IPL.

Cheers,

David Barry said...

Of all places to be found out, Homer, why the IPL?

Srini said...

Warner is a good prospect for Australia ....he is a great boost for Delhi Daredevils in IPL...

Anonymous said...

David Barry,

I believe the reason is that an IPL season involves plenty of travel, pressure, variety of pitches - in short it is like compressing 2-3 seasons of normal cricket into 3-4 weeks. Players riding on luck will be exposed easily there.

Jrod said...

He does actually bowl legspin, and offspin.

Homer said...

David,

For all the reasons Anonymous pointed out plus the variety in bowling he will encounter and the quic turn around times to re adjust game plans.

For a kid who hasnt played in the domestic setup yet, it will be a huge leap of faith ( and skill)

Cheers,

Homer said...

Srinivasarao,

He will be a much better batsman 3 years down the line if he can stop premeditating.

Cheers,

Homer said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for your comments and welcome to the blog :)

Cheers,

Homer said...

UJ,

Goody.. You have your own Shahid Afridi :)

Cheers,

Jonathan said...

They were playing the commentary over the PA when we walked into the ground, and I thought that comment was a bit over the top, too.

Having said that, it seems to be true in T20 so far!

Homer said...

Agreed Jonathan, but a strike rate of 115 in 20 overs of powerplay is not exactly the second coming of the Messiah, is it?

I understand hype, but the Channel 9 commentary team are irrational in their praise( Benaud included).

And I cannot understand why.

Cheers,

Unknown said...

David Warner such a dangerous player from Australia and i love to see his batting.

Client Web Solutions