Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wrong focus

Sriram Veera, in another interesting article on the domestic scene in India, finishes by asking the question

But the question remains, when will India throw up a quality umpire good enough to enter the elite panel?
My two cents -

I don't think that should be India's focus anyways. Having umpires in the Elite Panel was a big deal in the 90's, when India was not yet THE place to be for International cricket. Add to that a middling team and having an umpire in the Elite Panel was considered prestigious.

Times have changed and I am not sure getting umpires into the Elite Panel is necessarily what it is cut out to be these days.

For two reasons.

1. On the top of my head I can think of Simon Taufel, Asad Rauf, Aleem Dar, Asoka DeSilva, Mark Benson, Rudy Koetzen, Billy Bowden and Steve Bucknor who are part of the Elite Panel.

And none of these worthies inspire the kind of faith that a David Shepard or a Dickie Bird invoked.Every umpire has been found wanting in certain conditions - Taufel was miserable in England, Dar and Rauf haven't been spectacular in the Southern Hemisphere, Bowden and Koetzen are in a league of their own while Benson and Bucknor - the less said the better.

So, the first question that pops up is - what is the standard for being an Elite Umpire anyways? Umpires make mistakes. They stand more exposed today than at any other time in Cricket's history thanks to technology. So, what is the Gold Standard by which the quality of the umpire is to be gauged?

2. Technology -

Full disclosure - I am not big on technology in the game ( related posts here,here, here. tangential post - here) and the reason I am not big is because technology is hostage to the broadcaster. And so, an umpire can be made to look like an idiot by telecasting ( or not telecasting) all the relevant angles in a dismissal.

And with the referral system gaining more prominence, the whole umpire-player dynamic is changing. And as the stakes grow higher, the functions of the umpire are correspondingly being compromised.

In this scenario, is being a member of the Elite Panel as cut up as it sounds?

I think India had to focus on its umpiring standards - for its own good. We play the game where the umpires are savvy with the rules, the standards under which the games are played are high and it will directly and indirectly benefit Indian cricket.

In fact, if umpiring standards are coupled with pitches ( and variances therein), it can only help us get umpires who are not only knowledgeable and cricket savvy, but also acquainted with umpiring in different conditions ( and therefore, better rounded).

To paraphrase, let us do everything to get our umpiring standards up. And if the ICC thinks it is worth their while to utilize our umpiring pool, good for them. If not, lets not sweat it!

( as an aside, why don't we see more articles of this nature on CricInfo? )

PS:- About a year ago, I cam across an interesting piece in the Mumbai Mirror - in a local game, the players had batsman had pushed the ball to the deep and run 4. The fielder, to prevent any extra runs, kicked the ball beyond the boundary rope.

At this, the umpire awarded 4 over throws to the batsman in addition to the runs run. I thought ( and continue to think) that it was a brilliant call!

10 comments:

David Barry said...

On your post-script, the umpires were indeed correct in awarding four overthrows. But I see it as umpires applying the Laws correctly in a clear-cut situation rather than a brilliant call.

Homer said...

David,

To give you context, there is the oft repeated story of Dilip Sardesai doing something similar when India toured Australia in the 60s to prevent the batsmen from running 5.

So for the umpire to be aware that it is indeed an overthrow and not a boundary ( as I expect the ruling to be in 90% of the cases) makes it brilliant :)

Cheers,

YellowMonkey said...

I'd have to say that I think that Taufel is the best. Bowden isn't so good.

Venkat was good in his era and Willey also.

Jonathan said...

I'll agree with YellowMonkey and Homer. India needs good umpires, Australia needs good umpires, everyone needs good umpires for their own sake, and so the Elite Panel is irrelevant.

India might not need it, but the ICC does need an Indian or more on the Elite Panel. The panel as it is is too small. There might be an argument for that if the members were has sufficiently better standards than anyone else, but I don't think anyone believes that at the moment. I certainly wouldn't guess that the next 5 or 6 umpires in the world are much worse, and the current lot are almost certainly overworked. Expanding the panel, giving more rest, should improve the standards rather than lower them.

Homer said...

Yellow Monkey,

Taufel was ordinary in England.That said, he is the best of the current lot of ICC Elite umpires.

Cheers,

Homer said...

Jonathan,

I agree that there is a case for expanding the Elite Panel but being part of the Elite Panel or the numbers contributed to the Elite Panel cannot be the driving force for better standards of local umpiring - the Elite Panel is not the be all and end all as suggested in the Cricinfo article.

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

The elite panel is a total joke save one umpire.

The funny part about that article was the ICC's plans to get local umpires officiating in overseas domestic circuits and likewise.

However hard one finds a positive reason for that, it is quite idiotic and pointless.

Homer said...

Scorpi,

It is a BCCI initiative,not the ICC.And the thinking behind this is that umpires get exposed to different conditions - which is pretty laudable.

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Homer,

Hmm... I disagree... Different conditions? LOL... pointless isn't it?

I mean by the basis of any education standard or the laws of nature... Which goes like, you first learn to crawl and then learn to walk!

Here are these umpires who are sub-standard by a far-mile in known-domestic conditions... And even before they master it, they graduate them into learning "different conditions" which in terms of an umpire primarily means "bounce". This is hilarious.

Surely this is ridiculous and adds to their confusion.

For gods's sake and for the good of Indian cricket, FIRST, let them learn to officiate "truly well" in domestic cricket under predictable conditions, THEN NEXT, prove themselves further in the A-tours after which, they fully deserve and I welcome this exchange program.

Until then, I see it no different from the Indian software industry where every dick who joins has the ultimate goal of only going abroad for a stint. Lame and totally pointless and spoiled.

Cheers dude

Homer said...

Scorpi,

Cant generalize, can you? All umpires are not the same and not all of the umpires are being sent overseas for exposure.

Cheers,