Monday, April 27, 2009

Is left right?

MS Dhoni seems to think so. Vide the batting order today

Parthiv Patel
Matthew Hayden
Suresh Raina
MS Dhoni
Jacob Oram
Albie Morkel

5 of the top 6 - left handers.

And seriously, why is Parthiv being persisted with? He wont keep and he definitely cannot open - so what is he doing in the team, especially when you have Sudeep Tyagi, S Vidyut and Murali Vijay warming the bench?

The Kinks need to address their team balance. And fast.

27 comments:

Maithreyi said...

It worked last year.

S Vidyut was one of the three/four sent back home before the tournament started. Love the guy, but I don't think he'd've been successful here.

On the other hand, they also sent Abhinav Mukund back, which is SACRILEGE.

Sudeep Tyagi is an all-rounder?

With Morkel and Oram in, I don't really see him getting a chance.

Homer said...

Maithreyi,

The Cricinfo team list lists S Vidyut in the team. And since Vidyut is slow left arm orthodox, he adds a new dimension to the CSK bowling.

Sudeep Tyagi is a pace bowler and given that Oram doesnt really bowl anymore, and CSK's problems with death bowling, he could be an option.

Cheers,

Barney said...

you would not belive it, but i thought about the same when Albie came in...MSD is the lone righty..

reminds me of the west indies of 05-06...

achettup said...

I believe Parthiv is being persisted with to remind us what a great wicket-keeper batsman Dhoni is... That or to even the age-imbalance of the opening partnership. Otherwise, it makes just about as much sense as trading Zaheer Khan for Uthappa and not getting any money for the deal and then having the stupidity to play Uthappa in all 5 matches.

Homer said...

Barney,

The results are not dissimilar either :)

Cheers,

Homer said...

Achettup,

The wisdom of the Royally Challenged is not to be trifled with.

MSD , on the other hand, is doing everything to disprove the high hopes people have pinned on him as captain.

Cheers,

Maithreyi said...

Vidyut's not in SA, that much I know for sure. That pretty much rules him out, right?

I was thinking they could go in with R Ashwin instead of Joginder Sharma this time 'round, you're right, we don't have a lot of variety when it comes to the bowling.

I honestly had no idea who Sudeep Tyagi was before now, sorry.

If Parthiv had to be replaced, my vote would go to Vijay.

Maithreyi said...

"MSD , on the other hand, is doing everything to disprove the high hopes people have pinned on him as captain."

Geez, Homer, that's harsh!

*wraps MSD in cotton wool*

Homer said...

Maithreyi,

4 right arm over the wicket pacers, 2 off spinners.. Thats the extent of the CSK bowling. Which begs the question - what price bringing Vidyut back?

I would play Vijay at 1 and Badri at 3. Raina 4 MSD 5 Morkel/Oram 6/7.

Whistle podu!

Cheers,

Homer said...

Maithreyi,

He can use all the TLC he gets right now :)

Cheers,

Amy said...

Chennai have mistaken this for the Practice IPL. That's why they're a bloody joke. Their batting is growing pathetic, save for Hayden's consistent efforts. And today, Oram's.

Homer said...

Too much sameness batting and bowling Amy.. Thats the Soopher Kinks problem.

Cheers,

Gaurav Sethi said...

M Vijay in my F team.

Anonymous said...

WHat is M Vijay doing in a t20 team? He is like Akash Chopra in KKR. The CSK aint in the whistle phodu mode, may be in sir fodu mode :))

Prabu said...

Dhoni's ass needs to be kicked for persisting with Joginder, Gony and Parthiv. While the rest of the teams are using two spinners, Dhoni uses onle one - unless he rates Joginder as spinner his tactics are odd to say the least. I'm hoping we get our ass kicked and start using some of our domestic players.

Homer, Vidyut, Napo, Sureshkumar (who had a damn good season as an allrounder), Anirudh andAbhinav have been sent home by CSK.

raj said...

Homer, Dhoni is afterall not as smart as everyone thinks!
Look at this:
1. Whole of last year, he persisted with 4 or 5 medium pacers attack, and even underutilised Murali. He almost lost a match to Bangalore last year because of that but somehow BRC screwed up as is their wont. THis year he refused to learn from it and lost the first match by dropping Murali and not usign Ashwin who was in the team
2. Continues to persist with joginder sharma when clearly evidence says he is not upto it
3. Getting in Badri at #8 - you might as well drop him. Last year, badri succeeded when he came in the top order - yet even last year, he kind of got Badri in after Kapugedera in the finals, and promptly lost that match. Not that Badri is a champion but if you are not going to play to his strengths, why select him in the first place? So, either Dhoni has something against Badri or he is exceedingly dumb. Considering his reluctance to select any local talent, I would think he is just not able to trust non-hindi Indians. Either way poor captaincy, that.
4. Sending back Vidyut and Abhinav while retaining Arun Karthik - now this may have been Franchise mgt decision but we know Dhoni takes keen interest in selecting his team and letting his views known in public about people whom he recommends but the selction comittee rejects. So, it is clear that Dhoni is not really involved in this - either that or he is dumb enough not to check on the squad's recent records. Again, either way, poor captaincy.
5. Besides, where is the explosive batsman Dhoni? Nowadays no matter the situation he is just intent on nudging and edging a few singles and keeping his average high. again selfishness and poor captaincy or judgement of situations. So, even as a batsman, he has lost his aura.

Finally his luck is running out and he is being exposed - this is great. I am all for CSK competing with BRC for the last spot this YEAR if that means Dhoni loses his aura. Well, Mallya means I will be happy only if BRC get the wooden spoon but if CSK finish lsat but one, then that would be justice for me.

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous to see Dhoni being abused by original Chennai men. So whom do you want to captain Chennai ? Murali or Balaji or Karuna himself ?

Or Murali Vijay would be a great man to lead CSK!!

Whoa!!

Homer said...

Sam,

Ricky Ponting?

Cheers :),

Anonymous said...

may be one of raj or prabu :)

haha.

For sure this guy MS is candid enuf to accept the defeat and existence of a problem!!

raj said...

Sam, whats ur problem? Dhoni is GOD? He cannot be spoken against?

Well, I could wish that CSK bid for Warne or Gilly instead of Dhoni, couldnt I?
Why bring in Karunanidhi here? Who told you everyone in TN is a Karuna supporter? Well, I aint surely. When anyone speaks of Dhoni, do they bring in Shibu Soren? Beats me - just shows that you have poor knowledge of either TN or its sports scene or its politics but just have blind hatred.
When I spoke of Dhoni, I put forth a logical argument as to what I thought he did wrong - least I would expect is a logical reply to it but seems like all you can counter with is some blind hatred and absolutely no rational explanation.

raj said...

Homer, good luck with today's match. I was looking forward to Sachin whipping Warne's ass - but rain played spoilsport. Lucky Warne - 1 point free there for him. Sachin sure would have whipped his ass and he would have had another 10 years of nightmares.

After a long thought, I have converted to Mumbai Indians. Yeah, Delhi and Sehwag are a great temptation but Sachin deserves to put it over Warne, Gilly etc. I'd be very happy to see him masterminding the trashing of Warne and Gilly's teams not to mention the Prince of Patiala, Liquor Baron and ofcourse Captain Marvel. Hope Sehwag finishes runner-up.
(Only hitch is that foul mouthed sardar in the MI team but I guess I can tolerate him for Sachin's sale)

Anonymous said...

Raj partner,

Did you not kick MS on his ass for persisting with Gony, Patel who aint from Chennai ?

And you pitch in for Badri who is as useless as Karuna in the politics and Ashvin again who is an unknown commodity...

Rather than pitchin in for local players pitch in for players who are in best shape and mode to win the game..not somebody who hails from a region!!

i m sorry mate but i do have very good knowledge on politics, geography and sport. if you wanna discuss come down my blog...

hatred isnt in my post mate, it comes out in abundance out of urs and prabhu's comments especially the language :)

kick Dhoni's ass? In what capacity?

And what good has ever badri done to claim to be in national or state ranji or a IPL team ? He cant hit, he cant field and he cant bowl :)

so kick him over and get one of the younger guys sent to Chennai back to IPL team!

Anonymous said...

raj partner, your language is very filthy. very flimsy and cheap!! hatred is coming out leap and bounds of your comment on anybody up North..Be it Bhajji or be it MS!!!

Prabu said...

Sam,

If you think I can criticize Dhoni only if I have the skills to captain CSK then you or I should not be in blogosphere commenting about cricket. Apologies if that sounds a bit like Ricky Ponting in Sydney!

I have been more critical of CSK management than Dhoni and have understood that Dhoni has always gone for what is known to him. But surely he must know by now that Joginder or Parthiv or Gony have been fairly useless and tried someone else! Surely he has learnt from last year final's debacle when he trusted Kapugedara, he of 70% SR in previous games, ahead of Badri, he of 150% SR, that just becos you have some international experience doesn't mean necessarily you're all that! Surely he should try to rely less on imports as it brought CSK's bid down last year when he did not try out other players in pressure situations when Hayden and Hussey were available. In a tournament as long as this, surely there is room for assessing bench strneght, especially when you are winning it all or losing it all. Since CSK hae gone the "losing it all" way this, maybe they will start trying something.

As for Karuna, the only place I think he is fit for running is a retirement community janitor union - certainly not the CSK team. And if he did run the CSK team, God know how long it will be before he finishes his speech and comes to the bowling crease with his two support staff to help him walk in a straight line.

Prabu said...

Sam,

BTW, you seem to confused on the ID of who wants DHoni's ass kicked. IT was actually me. However, I never intended to kick it myself though. Just prefer someone else does and if that someone else can derive some pleasure, mental or carnal, out of it, let them go for it! I suspect ABD will jump first in line or Albie will!

Homer said...

Thanks Raj.. All support is welcome..

Cheers :),

raj said...

Oh dear! Sam, you can't even check who said what and it is curious that you call my language filthy - I guess discerning observers can see who is being proper in language and tone, and who is spreading blind hatred and cheap language. I guess you lack the comprehension skills for that but that's not your fault - age should and will grant you some wisdom I hope.
Cheers, you can shout and abuse as much as you want now. We all do what we can do - if that is your skill, go ahead.