Thursday, April 30, 2009

My comment on the Ajay Shankar article

Does the term "slander" resonate at all in the hallways of Cricinfo? You make a categorical statement that "Cash-rich BCCI couldn't afford ICC's anti-corruption price tag " and all you have by way of evidence are statements by unnamed state officials who attended the BCCI meeting.

There is no corroboration whatsoever from either the Secretary/Treasure of the BCCI or the President of the BCCI or the Chairperson of the IPL and yet we should believe that this is, in fact, a true version of the events.

You may have an axe to grind with the BCCI, and more power to you for that.. But must you insult your reader's intelligence so in the quest of a few more eyeballs?

How different are you then from the IPL commentators you so constantly berate?

Cheers,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least they published it. Being the most popular site for a genre puts you in the best position to push forward your agenda, but it also carries responsibilities. A good, balanced take on the IPL and BCCI is nearly impossible to find on cricinfo... they quoted "production" and "different production officials" on some absolute bullcrap on ads for the IPL... something which I think deserves a post, and I'll try bringing it out soon.

Homer said...

Achettup,

I am as surprised as you to see the comment published verbatim by CI.

And have you noticed that the piece has undergone a lot of editing since it first appeared on the site? Cool eh?

I dont care for bias, we all have ours.. What I care for are facts.. And when an organization is accused of soft peddling on corruption on the say so of unnamed people, it raises a red flag.

Looking forward to your post...

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

seriously, do you go to Cricinfo for reading articles?
I stopped reading their pieces long ago after realizing how they report.
Its only good for ball-by-ball updates.

Homer said...

Anonymous,

When the headline states "Cash-rich BCCI couldn't afford ICC's anti-corruption price tag", it does pique the interest.

Thanks for your comments and welcome to the blog.

Cheers,