Thursday, March 15, 2007

Aye Bermuda!!!

6 wides, 9 no balls, 17 extras - Nerves
7 fours, 1 six, run rate 7.75 - Inexperience
1 dropped catch - Heartbreak
19 stone cop on the biggest stage in cricket - Priceless



Go Bermuda!!!

13 comments:

Kartikeya Date said...

If Leverock played a Test match, imagine the dents and rough he would create in the wicket.....

Homer said...

Lets just say that if Leverock ever played a Test, he would make the heavy roller redundant!!!!

Vinod said...

I wonder how this match would have turned out had they had on to the catch to dismiss Jayawardene first ball. I guess the drop helped the SL skipper finally find some runs and hopefully some confidence

Homer said...

Vinod,

Bermuda have handed Mahela a get out of jail card.

I have always believed that a captain who does not answer to the name of Mrk Taylor needs to do well in his primary role as that gives him confidence in the captaincy role.

This innings might just have turned the corner for Mahela and Sri Lanka.

Vinod said...

I agree about the importance of Jayawardene's form for Sri Lanka's chances. I spoke about this in my preview of Sri Lanka on my blog. It was definitely a big get out of jail card for him.

And what a knock by Jeremy Bray!! Go Minnows
http://rasuvi.blogspot.com/2007/03/memorable-minnows.html

Homer said...

Vinod,

Is Jeremy Bray only the second player to carry his bat in a WC ODI?

if so, more YAYs for the minnows!!!!

Vinod said...

Nope, a few more at least:

Ridley Jacobs did it in 1999 against Aussies.
Geoff MArsh did it in India in 1987.
And apparently Turner did it on the same day as Gavaskar, thats very interesting :).
Maraj of Canada and Atapattu of SL achieved the feat in the 2003 world cup in South Africa.
Not sure if I have missed any more.

angshu said...

"I have always believed that a captain who does not answer to the name of Mrk Taylor needs to do well in his primary role as that gives him confidence in the captaincy role."

Would you believe that when Mahela got his 50 today I was just thinking of the last skipper to remain unaffected by personal poor form and found myself a nice excuse to remember Tubby?

Homer said...

Vinod,

darn!!!!

Angshu,

:)

Vinod said...

And now a hit wicket dismissal. Is that a first in a world cup game?

Scribbler said...

I think there have been hit wickets before... can't remember any, though! But it was rather pointless to see this match! Zimbabwe was even bad! What'll happen to England v NZ?

Homer said...

Kiwis to win.. too much depth and all round skills..and Harry Potter!!

What makes this game interesting is that it pits two of the smarter ( more cricket savvy) captains in World Cricket against each other.

ugyen said...

Homer, you rite!! man, Kiwis would flies color now... watch out for the Black Caps!!!! happy weekend all of you out here!!!