Friday, April 06, 2007

Something I noticed

While watching the Aussies and the Proteas run between the wickets, one thing stuck me - how low they go when they ground their bats and turn for the second.

It is interesting to see them not so much bend at the waist as buckle at the knees when grounding the bat. Interesting because by doing so one gets more "stretch" thus nullifying the need to take that extra step to ground the bat.

The other interesting aspect of this is that when the batsman turns, he is positioned like a sprinter ready to take off the blocks - with the back leg acting as the pivot, thus allowing the batsman that extra yard of pace when completing the next run.

Basically, you are covering a shorter distance with greater speed.

If you contrast it with the Indians, we tend to be more upright when grounding the bat, thus negating the additional stretch available, adding a couple of extra steps needed to complete the run and absolutely no traction on the turn, thus generating no starting speed.

One other tiny little thing - the bat. With the "stretch", the bat becomes more like a baton used in relays. Without the "stretch", there is the extra motion of raising the bat which again takes away the fluidity of motion - two different things to be done instead of the focus being solely on the running.
--
Thought I would put it down because I came across this statement in the Jonty Rhodes interview with Rahul Bhattacharya

A correct throwing technique means that the throwing arm comes up and over your shoulder, as opposed to a quick release throw, which means that the arm is extended parallel to the ground, and not over the top.
Here is an illustration
the same arm motion applies when throwing upright

unlike how we thrown the ball- a la Lasitha Malinga :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slinga-Malinga is something I am having lots of trouble understanding. How someone can have that action and still get it to come stump to stump delivery after delivery just .. err.. stumps me. We used to have a pretty physics teacher in school - I think I was probably distracted in the projectile motion class...

And now the guru of motion jonty too says its not optimum...

Homer said...

Sfx,

because of how wide or how close Slinga gets to the stumps at release point.

as regards physics teachers, the lesser said the better :). u do not want to know my story :D

angshu said...

Homer

Came into the comments section to say I enjoyed that observation but end up confessing that - our entire class used to be distracted at the geography class.

Hence perhaps I stand the best chance of cracking the Malinga theory - in exchange of a promise that you'll explain how far is barbuda from Bermuda.