"I am very grateful to the club for allowing me to go to India to find out more about the job of coaching the Indian Team. I have had a chance to reflect on the offer made by the BCCI and their urgency to fill the vacant position.
"After careful consideration, I have decided to continue my work here at Kent. This has been a really difficult decision. I am honoured that India have shown such interest in my capabilities, but feel that this is the right decision for me and my family."
The news is that you've been given one week to take your final decision. If that's true, what are the issues you need to take care of in the next seven days?
Yes, that's correct.
Gary Kirsten
Don't these guys talk to their spouses before taking that plane ride from South Africa to India or is family the new cop out now that Satan is no longer in circulation?
Don't these guys talk to their spouses before taking that plane ride from South Africa to India or is family the new cop out now that Satan is no longer in circulation?
14 comments:
hehehe.....lol i wont be surprised if gary too ditch us at the last moment ;)
Anonymous,
Thanks for your comments..
For the sake of the BCCI I hope that does not happen. But then again, there is this certain someone who always wanted that job, so I wouldnt be too upset :D
Cheers
i knw homer ;)...and if this certain becomes the "coach".....WC 2011 is surely ours :D
Couple of things I wanted to know
1) how did Kent do this year in the league
2) What role does Ravi Shastri play in Indian cricket. He seems to have become a fixer of sorts. Like the CPI (M), he enjoys power w/o responsibility. He nominates /selects the coach and then will promptly go ahead and blast him in his ESPN commentary team. Ditto Sunny (and I am one of his biggest fans).
Read this in DNA today
"However, in his book titled ‘Gazza’, Gary was more forthcoming and almost repentant that as a senior member of the side during the whole ‘Hansie Cronje match-fixing saga’, he didn’t do anything to stop the rot.
In the book, talking about the ODI match against India in Mumbai in 1996, Kirsten wrote that Hansie said, “‘We have been offered a lot of money to throw a game’. I swear you could have heard a pin drop. Nobody moved a muscle.”
He further added: “In retrospect I think I had gone into instant shock. “Even if I had wanted to speak I would have been unable to. Hansie carried on talking slowly but clearly.
I listened but it was out of respect for the captain and a strange fascination with what he was saying rather than any intention to carry out instructions…Perhaps as a senior player I should have acted but hindsight is a perfect science and life isn’t.”
Hope he doesn't have the same respect for captain theory in his coaching stint -)
homer,
this family thing is just a hogwash...its like preparing a back door escape while still slamming front...
it will save the face of BCCI and Garry if anything goes wrong and he will quote that small kids...family to look after and so on...
wonder where were they when he boarded flight...
you still have chance...don't worry mate!!
While people do discuss contingency plans before they go for interviews, its not uncommon for final talks in families to only take place after a concrete job offer is made. So, while I share some of the concern about South Africans making like they are Hamlet reincarnated, its not too out of the ordinary for Kirsten to be saying what he did.
u bet Jane :)
Rahul,
Kent
7th out of 9 in the County Championships Div 1.
4th out of 10 in the Southern Conference of the Friends Provident Trophy
5th out of 9 in the Pro40 Div 2.
Rabi Shastri - I have no clue :)
Cheers
Rahul,
As long as he is not a prima donna, that will be a good start :).
Cheers
Thanks Straight point.. I can use all the support I get :)
Cheers
Samir,
But one goes to the job interview fully cognizant of the requirements of the job and related pressures.
To say "I've got two young kids and it's a question of seeing them enough and still being able to do the job properly. That'll be the biggest issue and if we can get around that then certainly we can move forward in the discussions" when the deal is nearly done - just smacks of a cop out.
Cheers
Homer,
If the money is good, the wifey will say ok even if the offer is from Timbuktu! That (mone) part is known only after the job offer is made.
Post a Comment