Sunday, January 13, 2008

The villain of the piece

My good friend Kartikeya has spent a considerable amount of time highlighting the lacunae in Mike Proctor's knowledge of the rules of the game. Here are the links

Does Andrew Symonds invite the attention of the Match Referee?
When gentlemens agreements don't make sense..... A Question for Mike Procter.
Another question for Mike Procter - Overrates
A Tale of three catches: The Argument against Ricky Ponting and Mike Procter
Tit for Tat - Hogg charged same as Bhajji. Procter shows his weakness again.....
The shadow of the Sydney Test

The pattern that emerges from this, is of a match referee ( of long standing) who is either unaware of the rules or willfully chose to ignore them.

Couple this with his earlier acts of omission or commission and the biases become obvious.

Little wonder then that Sunil Gavaskar wrote "his decision has incensed millions of Indians, who are quite understandably asking why his decision shouldn’t be considered a racist one considering the charges that were levied on Harbhajan were of a racist remark"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Homer,

Having followed kartikeya’s meticulous (and relentless) pursuit of Procter’s mistakes in the Sydney game – and a few before – I did not get the impression he has at all alluded to any lacuna in his knowledge. Instead (and being a regular reader of his blog) I think he’s pointed out the inconsistencies in Mike Procter’s approach.

That does not necessarily allude to bias. It also means that in the whole hysteria of this game , many issues got swept away and missed by Mike Procter (a number of which Kartikeya has highlighted). The ICC has probably picked those up as well. I don’t think Ranjan Madugale’s appointment is merely that of a peacekeeper.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Not related to this topic Homer

I have seen couple of your posts absolutely opposing giving captaincy to Kumble based on some Ranji Games

Does it still hold true?

I think he is angle from heaven for Indian Cricket.

Anonymous said...

Am blown away by kartheya's posts... considering he spent so much time in pointing out inconsistencies... damm sharp.

Homer said...

Sfx,

willful ignorance is what I call it.And not for the first time either.

It amazes me to find a match referee who has, time and again, been in the center of a storm and not learnt anything from it.

Cheers

Homer said...

cknaidu,

The criticism still holds. I think Kumble errs on the side of the defensive. And for a bowler who is so aggressive, his captaincy is a bit too conservative for me.

Cheers

Homer said...

:) Scorpicity