Millions of Indians might want to know this - but it doesn't actually make them right. Does Gavaskar himself believe this to be true? If so, he should say it. And if he does believe it, then he should almost certainly resign, for if the ICC is a bastion of "white man's justice", Gavaskar bears some of the blame for having failed to change it.thunders Gideon Haigh in his column on CricInfo.
Well, here is the breakdown of the ICC Cricket Committee as documented on the ICC Website
| ICC CRICKET COMMITTEE | |
The remit of the ICC Cricket Committee is to discuss and consult on any cricket-playing matters and to formulate recommendations to the CEC which relate to cricket-playing matters. Any recommendations made by the ICC Cricket Committee will not take effect until they are ratified and/or approved by CEC and the Board. | |
| Chairman | Sunil Gavaskar |
| Past players (2) | Ian Bishop & Mark Taylor |
| Representatives of current players (2) | Kumar Sangakkara & Tim May |
| Full Member team coach representative (1) | Tom Moody |
| Member Board representative (1) | Duleep Mendis |
| Umpires' representative (1) | Simon Taufel |
| Referees' representative (1) | Ranjan Madugalle |
| Marylebone Cricket Club representative (1) | Keith Bradshaw |
| Statistician (1) | David Kendix |
| Media (1) | Michael Holding |
| Associate representative (1) | Steve Tikolo |
So, in essence, there are two more layers of bureaucracy to be traversed before any "recommendations" made by the ICC Cricket Committee see the light of day.
How then does Mr Haigh expect Mr Gavaskar to apportion blame for "not changing the ICC"?
And there's more
ICC EXECUTIVE BOARD
The Executive Board is responsible for management of the affairs of the ICC within the framework of the overall policy of the Council of the ICC and having regard to Council's duties and responsibilities generally including those prescribed in the constitution or by statute or by regulation. The prime objective of the Board being to advance the objectives of the ICC.
It is made up of a representative of each Full Member country and three representatives elected by the Associate Members.
| MEMBERSHIP OF THE ICC EXECUTIVE BOARD AS AT 30 SEPTEMBER 2007 | |
| ICC President | Ray Mali |
| ICC Chief Executive Officer - Ex-Officio | Malcolm Speed |
| ICC President Elect | - |
| Australia | Creagh O'Connor |
| Bangladesh | Major General Sina Ibn Jamali |
| England | - |
| New Zealand | Sir John Anderson |
| Pakistan | Nasim Ashraf |
| Sri Lanka | Jayantha Dharmadasa |
| South Africa | Noman Arendse |
| West Indies | Julian Hunte |
| Zimbabwe | Peter Chingoka |
| Associate Member Representatives | |
| Malaysia | HRH Tunku Imran |
| Israel | Stanley Perlman |
| Kenya | Samir Inamdar |
| *as of 30 October 2007 | |
Guess which country's name is missing from that list?
Heh!
4 comments:
Homer,
Surprising. Any idea's?
Honestly, I always felt that Sunil Gavaskar was an hypocite, hmmm... maybe he is helpless.
Ottayan,
Unless there is another article floating around that I am not aware of, this is what Gavaskar wrote.
Nowhere does the line "Millions of Indians want to know if it was a 'white man' taking the 'white man's' word against that of the 'brown man'," show up.
I do not hold a brief for Gavaskar. Like you, there are enough instances where I believe should and could have done more for Indian cricket.
Not in this case.
And for all the talk of the ICC Cricket committee, it is just that, a committee. Varied interests sit to seek solutions for problems which are then escalated to other members to be ratified/endorsed.
So, I think Mr Haigh's attack is unwarranted and uncalled for.
Cheers
I've been trying to explain this to peeps on forums...with little success. Perhaps I wasn't as lucid as you are Homer...but boy, I wish I had poppped over here so I could have linked them all up to your post.
As it is, I came back from the forums thoroughly peeved and and almost in doubt. So much so, that I first drafted a direct letter to Mr.Gavaskar asking him for clarification to assisst in my defence of him...but felt that might be a bit too "silly"...however, I subsequently put out a post asking fellow bloggers what the root of malice towards Sunny is.
Thanks Homer for this wonderful post. I'll be bandying it around a bit now if you don't mind.
Any recommendations made by the ICC Cricket Committee will not take effect until they are ratified and/or approved by CEC and the Board
Somehow, the more I stressed this aspect, the more aggro-defensive the forummers became, including most of the Indians ther! Gee, I thought they'd have followed and understood the man better over the years!
Ottayan directed me here by the way.
sure Soulberry.. all of this information I culled from the ICC website.. Its all right there :)
Cheers
Post a Comment