Watching Munaf Patel bowl in his first Test match at Mohali was a bit like reading the first page of a novel that hinted at greatness. It wasn't that India hadn't produced fast bowlers before him, but here was a young man taking his first steps on the big stage as though he belonged there.
---
“I’m very happy that I’m playing international cricket again. There was never an issue about my bowling, it was my fitness, and now that I am fit everything else is sorted out. I’m happy with the way I am going and hitting the seam and have been hitting consistently in the late 130kmphs,” Munaf said.
His utmost priority is to a go through an injury-free season and for that, he said, he's bowling well within himself.
---
In a chat with The Indian Express after practice at the SCG nets, the lanky Maharashtra seamer said he was feeling better than ever with his international comeback and said his bowling gave him greater confidence to once again get into reckoning with the speed gun. “I’ve just made a comeback into the team after battling from injuries previously and I am steadily getting there. For me to bowl fast again is not a problem, I can again crack the 140s easily. Woh to mera natural cheez hai, who kaise chhutega? Tez toh mein waapas dalunga. I don’t want to rush into the speed race straightaway,” he says.
---
So what is the truth then ?
Are we dealing with a man who, after battling injuries, fitness issues and lost telephone numbers, is finding his feet back into International cricket and is bowling well within himself or a bowler who Mr Premachandran describes as
Watch him bowl less than two years on, and you find it hard to believe you're not watching an impostor. The pace is gone, the yorkers are nowhere to be seen, and the only movement on view is the swing of the batsman's bat before the ball disappears. Apart from one over where he had Kumar Sangakkara edging over slip and then inside-edging just short of the 'keeper, Munaf's spell was an exercise in listlessness.
8 comments:
I think most critcisms are unwarranted. Apart from today's ODI, Munaf has managed to tie down batsmen.
Dhoni wants him in the team precisely for that.
Ottayan,
Also, if the guy wants some space for himself, especially after the rough ride that was the SA tour and its aftermath, I believe we should give him that..
It is in our best interests that Munaf hit his straps and, if he needs a bit of time, I dont see what the big deal is :).
Cheers
i think he will be OK...its so that we are getting so obsessed with speed guns that we forget to look beyond that and what bowler is doing...
except todays match he has bowled in right area has got crucial wickets and managed to tie batsmen down...
in my book this is good bowling and for once lets give him some space, time and leave him alone DP...
I disagree with some of the view here... he bowls pretty decent at the start but is terrible towards the death overs... so if he is fit, he should have the brains to bowl quick during the death with those yorkers and mess things up with a contrasting slow ball... you don't get injured bowling fast for 2 overs at the death, so I feel there is a lot of truth in Dileep's article.
Homer this statement from Munaf is interesting... but I don't believe he will be injury free through the year either. He is unable to bowl a 8 over spell well within himself... what's the point.
SP, Indeed!
Scorpi,
Thing is, he is getting the job done (for the most part) in ODIs and if he needs some latitude right now, I dont see the problem with that.
That said, I do not see him as one of the top 5 seam bowlers for the Test squad until he proves, unequivocally, that he has both - the ability to last out 5 days of Test cricket and the ability to bowl sustained hostile spells at great speeds.
Cheers
What did Munaf do to SMG's family? Ever since his debut, there's been a no-hold's barred Munaf Maro slugfest.
btw, observe that Munaf's fielding's gone a notch above Yuvraj's.
And yeah Homer, they need to be patient with him. After Nehra, he's possibly the only Ind quick (now ishant) who can bowl more than 2 balls an over on the same spot.
Naked,
chucked a couple of bouncers at Rohan perhaps?
As regards his bowling, I agree. But the thing with Munaf, is, he is his own worst enemy..
His innate ability to go off the boil and his tendency to get injured in the middle of a test match wont win him any friends..
Cheers
Post a Comment