Wednesday, January 16, 2008

erm, Channel 9

you need a new fact checker.

During the Sydney test, the following graphic was shown on TV

Ricky Ponting v India

Played 3*
Won 1
Lost 0
Draw 1

And today, the graphic showed

Played 4*
Won 2
Lost 0
Draw 1

Fair enough.

Except the next time someone from the Channel 9 commentary team decides to trot out Michael Clarke's best bowling figures of 6/9, could someone also check for the result of that match?

And could someone also check the Australian captain's name in that game?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess they cater to a different audience and hence the slant no different from an ESPN... However the Indians should have hanged themselves for giving clarke of all people those figures.

Even a Courtnery walsh who toiled for years would have had nightmares on those figures so close to his personal best.

Homer said...

Scorpicity,

No matter what the audience, since when did a loss translate to a draw?

And with regards to Clarke's bowling figures, it is a pity, but thats the way it goes..


Cheers

Kartikeya Date said...

I tend to agree with Homer here... because ESPN has a multinational commentary team. Channel 9 is all-Aussie (Nicholas is irrelevant), and with Benaud's influence on the wane, it is the hyper-partisan Ian Healy who's methods are beginning to dominate.

Unknown said...

And a completely irrelevant q from this specific blog.. Do you take back your comments about RD's batting form.. And don't mention his ugly hoick to support your view.. But the man played v well today and the fact that we look at him as our saviour says it all.. I hope all your doubts about his technique, temparament and tacticts are answered

Homer said...

Thanks Kartikeya :)

Homer said...

namya,

Thanks very much for your comments..

Yes, I stand corrected in my evaluation of RD. The man has shown admirable gumption and no little skill in fighting and conquering his demons on the field of play.

For that, I doff my hat.

But does this mean that, at the beginning of the series, in a toss up between Yuvraj and RD, I would have played RD? No.

Cheers

Samir Chopra said...

Homer, I don't understand what the problem is. That Mumbai pitch was played on a "minefield", a "dustbowl", a "subcontinental nightmare". On that kind of pitch, losses don't count. Only losses on "greentops", "hard-n-true", "trampoline bounce" wickets count.

Homer said...

Samir,

Doh!!! I knew I was missing something when I questioned the integrity of the Channel 9 fact checker..

Now I will not be able to stand in the same room as him/her!!!

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Homer,

thank god the selcetors didn't agree with you

Homer said...

namya,

Thank God I am not a selector :)

Cheers

Jrod said...

If that was channel 9's only problem they'd be doing alright.

Homer said...

Uncle J,

The Channel 9 commentary and visuals were, at one time, beyond compare.

Benaud and his gang were the reason I sat through the 92 and 99 debacles.

But of late (esp post Ashes 05), the tone in the commentary box is shriller and may I say, more xenophobic.

Cheers