but here is a little something to jog your memory
Now, in the just concluded Mumbai Rajasthan match, there happened this little incident
17.2 Patel to Nayar, 2 runs, low full toss outside off, bends low and drags it to deep midwicket, poor fielding, or so it seemed, Smith throws it straight into the umpire and they steal another single, it's all allowedFollowing this incident, Shane Warne was visibly querying the batting team about fair play and fair play points and such like, a clear violation of 1.7 (public criticism of, or inappropriate comment on a match-related incident or match official).
So my question to you is, will any action be taken? And if it is, will cognizance be taken of the fact that this is a repeat offense?
Or are we to assume that given your ties to Rajasthan, the Rajasthan players ( and specifically her captain) are above reproach?
21 comments:
Homer
I don't know if you saw the game; Inexplicably the umpire was moving towards the stumps; Batsmen took advantage of overthrow (it was bit cheeky); Warne was visibly miffed; It's NOT a punishable offence in my book
Another go at an Aussie. Mumbai Jokers, aha
Shaz,
If you go by the book, it is. I know that they will let it pass but the fact remains that Warne had no business remonstrating with the players and he definitely had no business talking about fair play.
If he thought the run was out of line, there were the umpires he could have spoken to.
Being unaware of the rules is n license to have a go at the opposition.
Cheers,
Anonymous,
Is that you Sam?
Cheers,
Firstly, has Warne got fined for the delays in every single match his tema has played. He changes field for every single ball. He has taught his team all the delaying techniques - when Nayar was hitting consecutive fours, Yusuf Pathan exgtended a fall during fielding to a long drill of injury treatment, and finally came back to the field. It was hailed as brave but I feel it is a deliberate tactic to slow down Abhishek and make him lose momentum. I wish there were a fake ipl player in RR team who can expose such techniques being taught by Warne.
Warne is the worst offender on slow over rate - and yet nobody says a word against him? If you say this certain australiophiles come and brand you anti-australia. I am pointing at you, anonymous above!
blodyindian,
Different strokes for different folks?
Thanks for your comments and welcome to the blog.
Cheers,
Bloody Indian
You out of your mind mate on the Yusuf Pathan incident ? Were you watching something els when that happened ? It was clear he went and hit the boards pretty hard and tumbled further. I'm amazed he didn't suffer greater injury !
Slowed down momentum ? Pray how? Nayar hit Botha for a six in the next over and then got run out. Blame that on the fact that it took so long to get the ball back and thus his momentum was lost !
You either are from Mumbai or support the MI for whatever reason, and you don't like Warne one bit. So yesterday's loss was pretty galling for you take, so now you spewing out your frustations. Ah well !
And pray why rant against Warne for the time wasting ? Isn't there a board looking into this ? Rant against them for not taking him and RR to task !
TG,
Adam Gilchrist and Sachin Tendulkar, respective captains of Deccan Chargers and Mumbai Indians, have been fined $20,000 each for maintaining a slow over-rate during the IPL game in Durban on Saturday. Devdas Govindjee, the match referee from South Africa, found the teams short of the target after taking the allowances into consideration.
Before the tournament began Lalit Modi, the IPL chairman and commissioner, had announced unprecedented fines for teams who don't complete their overs within the stipulated time limit. Per the new ruling the captain will be fined $20,000 for a first offence, the entire team will be penalised $220,000 for the second, and the third offence will result in a team fine of $360,000 and a one-match ban for the captain.
Delhi Daredevils were also penalised for a similar slow over-rate in their match against Chennai Super Kings on April 23 in Durban.
Rajasthan? And what about the beer sipping? Or the "fair play" award hissy fit?
Different strokes for different folks no?
Cheers,
Homer
I'm not for one moment trying to defene Warne on the time wasting tactics. It's a case of the undefensible. What I couldn't fathom from ' BloodyIndians' rant was why take it up on Warne ? Pure and simple - if you all want to rant do it against the folks who are meant to take teams and players to task.
Everyone takes the ICC and match referees to task if they don't punish players, so why here 'Bloody Indian' ranted here on Warne is something I couldn't fathom.
And Homer - on the fair play hissy bit ? What hissy bit - he had a dig at Nayar ( I think) for taking the extra run. I didn't see him ranting against the umpire - my bad if he actually did ! I also recollect Smith going ' whoa why the extra run'.
I'm not sure what's wrong here - most teams and players in that situation would have taken a dig at the batsmen. How much - well that's conjecture!
TG,
I am holding Modi solely responsible. If there is a zero tolerance policy at play, make it zero tolerance.
Not 0% for one set and 0.5 for another.
Thing with the whole "fair play award" byplay was this - by the rules, the players were entitled the run. Warne was ignorant about the rules which does not give him the right to mouth off.
If the rules have to be applied, it is tantamount to public criticism of, or inappropriate comment on a match-related incident.
And did you check the fair play leaderboard today - Mumbai are 107 in 11 completed games.. Wonder why those three points were docked and for what :)
Cheers,
Homer
You are kidding right ? When has an Aussie not mouthed off on the field - right or wrong :)
It's like saying ' the sun rises in the east' !
TG,
Never seen an Aussie slag a batsman for taking a run off an overthrow.Which is basically what the whole "fair play award" byplay was.
Thats the difference.
Cheers,
You look at it as an overthrow and extra run - well within the rules and being legal.
I'm pretty sure why Warne had a dig was because for him it's akin to taking an overthrow when the ball deflects of the bat when completing a run.
You can bang on all about it being within the rules ( it very well might be in the truest sense of the word), I just looked at it as a cheeky single.
In the end - well I don't need to tell you who had the last laugh do I ?
Cheers!
TG,
Who had the last laugh is irrelevant to the point that the Royals seem to be getting a free pass when it comes to transgressions.
Wonder what side Modi supports?
Cheers :),
Homer
Of course what happened in the end does matter. I'm not so sure you would have brought this up to warrant a separate post on your blog, had MI won.
For all I know, you still might have, since it's obvious from your blog that you have an Anti- Aussie touch to everything. It's your blog, your prerogative to post on what you fancy.
You've been decent enough to let me post my comments and I will defend anything Aussie ( where defensible !!) because I've been an avid Australian cricket fan since the early 90's.
TG,
Pro Aussie, Anti Aussie, Pro Indian, Anti Indian, Pro Me, Anti Me - all perspectives.
As long as the conversation is civil and the debate within the bounds of decorum, its all good.
I have my view points, you have yours.It is because we talk that we have a better understanding of where each is coming from ( and a more rounded/nuanced view of the matter at hand).
The only charge I will accept is that when it comes to Mumbai,I am unreservedly one eyed. And I dont apologize for that :)
Cheers,
There he goes. accepts he is mumbai custodian.
go learn how to make a sane argument rising over city limits. u sound like sissy baby out here dude.
and now its not only me, everybody is saying the same thing. go scowling and scoffing mate.
Sam,
Thanks for the advise. But I am sure I would have heard about it if everyone was saying the same thing.
Unless of course, you have delusions of grandeur and believe that you speak for everyone.
Cheers,
Sam, this is getting ridiculous. Being partial to one team is something everyone can be accused of. Whither your aussie fixation? If you pause and think, you defend aussies almost as blindly as homer defends mumbai, and, well, as blindly as I defend badrinath:-)
Homer and I have heated arguments on badri - the difference is we respect each other and don't have persecution complex that whole world is conspiring to not comment on my blog etc.
Whether you like it or not, treating others as adults and presenting sane arguments has value
It was within the rules for Trevor Chappell to bol underarm, but I don't think many people would have liked to give his team fair play points... it's worth asking what the point of the fair play thing is.
Having said that, I didn't see what Warne did - I can easily believe he would do something inappropriate! (Although I think 'public criticism' is usually about comment to the media, not on-field behaviour.)
Jonathan,
In the Chappell incident, all parties involved were aware of the rules, TC and GC informed the umpires of what they were doing and then went ahead and bowled underarm.
In this case, Smith threw an errant throw that hit the umpire, the ball was still in play, the extra run was taken and Warne had an hissy fit.
Thing is, if the ball deflecting off the umpire is not fair play, neither is the ball deflecting off the stumps or the wicket keepers gloves or the fielders hand - does this mean the whole overthrow rule has to be revisited?
Cheers,
Post a Comment