Sunday, June 14, 2009

Outplayed!

19.6

Harbhajan Singh to Mascarenhas, 5 wides, what's gone wrong here! Singh - down the leg side, and short fine-leg has made a complete hash of things to let through five wides! That was Yuvraj's mess-up at short fine-leg

19.6

Harbhajan Singh to Mascarenhas, no run, outside off - oh well bowled! A dot ball with which to finish


India lose to England by 3 runs!

Let the inquisition begin!

20 comments:

Tifosi Guy said...

Aye Homer. I was hoping those two wides from Bhajji wouldn't come back to bite India.And it did.

Well what can we say ! England were ' just' that bit better..

So a SL- S Af final. I hope NOT because I can't stand either winning.

Homer said...

TG,

I wont rule the West Indies out.. And I wont be too surprised if India beat South Africa and that it turn translates to South Africa freezing in the semi finals :)

Cheers,

Tifosi Guy said...

S Af, SL, Pak and hopefully West Indies in the semis. Although I do hope NZ beat SL handsomely enough to knock them out in the group stage.

Of those most probable semi finalists, would take West Indies any day :-)

Since the late IPL time - all my predos have gone bust. So I guess I've just jinxed West Indies now :-)

Homer said...

Just wondering TG, if the West Indies bounce out the POms, will Nasser Hussain talk of the POms "technical" weakness :).

That said, Pakistan play Ireland. And given the manner in which both teams have played, what are the odds that WC 2007 will repeat itself?

Cheers,

achettup said...

Out thought, because our captain was preoccupied thinking about too many other things maybe?
Seriously, after the Windies game they must have expected every team to test them with the shorter ball. Didn't look like it. After trying to consolidate for two matches at number, Ravendra Jadeja in his first official T20 this world cup is given the task, not Dhoni who is probably better against the shorter ball?
And yeah, those Bhajji wides, so pointless and he's gonna get a lot of bad press for that but he did bowl well.

Honestly I didn't think England batted well at all, I expected them to get around 180. Dhoni is about to experience the hardest time in his entire career over the next few days, and to some extent the gawddamn stupid media with their meddlesome inventions are to blame for trying to get a few cheap headlines.

achettup said...

I also like the way Homer, that Lloyd and Chappel kept referring to Yuvraj's fantastic piece of willow in the game against the Windies. Poor England, their boys use inferior wood, its all pure talent that gets them their runs.
And this tournament is very very similar to the '92 world cup... I wouldn't be surprised if the same semifinalists end up playing, though Sri Lanka would have to lose badly to NZ for that to happen.

Homer said...

Achettup,

The flip argument is this - India plays its two games at Nottingham on a belter of a wicket.

They then come to Lords where previously teams chased 163 and successfully defended 175, 128 and 150.

And in those last three matches, you had the spinners and the slow medium pacers dominating.

Nothing would have prepared the Indians for the bounce and the pace they experienced against the West Indies.

Then you throw in the media circus and the side show that caught everyone's attention and just like that, you are facing a must win game.

Should they have been ready against the shorter ball? Sure they should have. But the short ball did not stop India from being within 3 runs of the English total.

And was Dhoni trying to prove a point by NOT coming at 3?

The media is bound to have a go at Dhoni - they have been waiting for this. But given that it is Dhoni, and given that the BCCI has not had favorable media over IPL 2, will this be the media's last "big" story?

As regards the commentators, if India is all that bad as they make it out to be, why were they besides themselves in the Sky commentary box when England won?

Oh well... Go the Windies!

Cheers,

Q said...

"That said, Pakistan play Ireland. And given the manner in which both teams have played, what are the odds that WC 2007 will repeat itself?"

HA!

U think!

Think again.

Have u not seen what Pakistan did to the Dutch and the Kiwis?

Gaurav Sethi said...

Earlier on when Yuvi screwed up at mid-off, the spoke in the com box of "only 2-3 good indian fielders". Now I wonder who these 2-3 guys are? I didn't see a single guy collect cleanly, too much tension around - they were in Bangladesh 2007 frame of mind.

Anonymous said...

The blame lies squarely on Dhoni because of very poor decision making. wrong team to start with - what was Ishant Sharma doing in the do-or-die match? Why did he complete his quota of 4 (for 36) while RP Singh who was so effective didn't? Same for Zaheer while Yuvi bowls 2 overs for 20 runs. Why ask Jadeja to go higher up and push the run rate when he is playing his first in this World Cup? Why not send Yuvi the in-form batsman? Also to harp on the water-under-the-bridge stuff, Dhoni's missed run out in the previous game against the Windies of Bravo hurt us pretty badly. Overall Dhoni gets 4 out of 10 for decision making - wrong selection of the XI; poor handling of the chosen XI and poor wicketkeeping.

Homer said...

Q,

I also read about the Lankans and the Ingerland do Pakistan.

This is Ireland.This is the world cup.

Cheers :),

Q said...

Homer,

U know Pakistan are slow starters right? U know they play best with their backs to the wall right? U know they get better and better with every game right? U know we slowly reach our peak right?

:-)

Homer said...

looked like it NC.. How much did the media fall out have a bearing in this?

Cheers,

Homer said...

All valid points Anonymous. Dhoni has played his part in India being eliminated from the World Cup.

Thanks for your comments and welcome to the blog

Cheers,

Homer said...

Q,

Bo more backs to the wall.. No more cornered tigers... :)

Cheers,

Homer said...

That said, I hope Pakistan wins tomorrow Q

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Some one heard Harbuijan Singh mid- match?
He said those 2 5-widers made his figures look bad,and said 4 for 20 would look so much better.
Fucken moron didnt even suggest that he hopes it wouldnt cost his team.
This is pretty much the attitude that
haunts most of this team.

Homer said...

Anonymous,

Not sure I agree. If this team was so lackadaisical, we wouldn't have the results we have had this far.

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

No Homer....
what I (Anon) am talking about is putting personal goals over team goals.
Harbijan saying "Those 10 runs less would have meant the team chased less",as an expression of inner feelings is different from saying "4-20 would have looked better than 4-30".The former statement does not make the chase easier-which is still 153.But this sort of attitude is symptomatic of the self centered orientation in thought and speech(and acts) and the consequent interest about the self over the team's.Could not Jadeja have gotten arial or whatever shit to put and end to his obvious slow scoring misery ,by just getting out earlier?The situation demanded that he not be around for too long at that pace.
He would not. I would only empathize with him.Why should Jadeja do it when Dhoni(like in this t20 and ipl 2009) would not?

Homer said...

Anonymous,

Bhajji had done the same in the IPL where he publicly questioned his handling by his captain. Is that reflective of the team? I hope not, because that will undo everything that has been achieved in the time since Chappell left India.

As regards Jadeja, every shot he hot went to a fielder. And the one time he lofted the ball, he found the tallest fielder in the England team right at the boundary's edge.

The way I look at it, this is a good time for a reality check. Coupled with a lack of cricket, I think this will stand the team in good stead.

And I am pretty confident that the team will bounce back from this reverse stronger.

Cheers,