When a Mumbaikar halts Mumbai on its tracks ( damn you Zaheer), when two South African batsmen, both known to be weak in Math, fail to choke, when a team led by Rahul Dravid wins, and when the team on the receiving end are Mumbai, devastated doesn't come close to describing how I feel at the moment ( and no, I don't support the Mumbai Indians but, its Mumbai and I am a Mumbaikar!)
PS- This bit, from CricInfo
True fans
Mumbaikars wouldn't mind being called khadoos (snobbish). Mumbai crowds are known to be the most noisiest and notorious, and when Rahul Dravid, the away captain, was introduced at the toss a loud round of boos reverberated around the ground. Every appeal by the Royal Bangalore Challengers received a similar deafening response from the 40,000 Mumbai Indians. It was proof enough to suggest Mumbai's fans would be the first to imbibe the true fan culture that has eyes and ears only for their own.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Devastated
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Disappointing game Homer. I thought Mumbai got their team selection wrong. Fernando should have been selected instead of Thornely, and not just in hindsight. I do have a little more comprehensive opinion review on my blog.
P.S. You have to dig the Mumbai crowd, rooting for the home team all throughout, just the way it should be.
I am loving it.. hey u shouldnt be complaining.. U had no problems using Uthappa's services againt the RCs
Mumbai crowd = overrated, just like the Mumbai players
pontings,
Did not watch the game (59$ is 59$ too many for watching Twenty20's) but if the Cricinfo
report is anything to go by,Uthappa has some ways to go to prove himself worthy of the Mumbai cap ( even if it is not the real thing).
Cheers
oh boo pontings :).. What is India without Mumbai?
Cheers
Homer, Uthappa's innings was not as bad as cricinfo made it out to be. He overdid the scoop shot and it led to his dismissal too, when he missed one ball too many, but on the other hand, he did play a few proper cricketing shots. He can play just as well as Badrinath or Raina, only, someone needs to talk him into cutting out those scoops of his.
I think Mumbai Indians badly need a rechristening. Going by Vastu, Feng Shui, Sui Mui, Suo Motu...they badly need to shed the obscenely obnoxious name. Honestly, don't you think the side deserves a better name? Could not Moneybag Ambani find a smart ad guy who could come up with a decent name for the team?
Sailesh,
Bet Lalchand Rajput will get that taken care of by the next game :)
Cheers
Som,
Name one team with a half decent name in the IPL.
Atleast the Mumbai Indians has two words most Mumbaikars can associate themselves to.. Imagine Jaipurites (ians) screaming "I am a Royal" or Hyderabadis going " I am a Charger).
The only other team with a team name relevant to the city are the Delhi Daredevils - only because crossing the roads with the Blue/Red/Black/Yellow/Pewter line buses plying is such a nightmare :)
Cheers
think the IPL officially arrived when the Jaipur crowd booed Sreesanth because he sledged Kamran Akmal
The Jaipur crowd did that????? Wow...
well dravid was a better captain than sachin tendulkar ever was .. :).. So would be a surprise to see the Indians winning when Sachin returns,,
Go Bangalore
uh oh Mahendra :).. The battle lines are well and truly drawn...
homer on a serious note.. do you reckon the IPL has awakened a hidden beast among the indians? Is intercity/state rivalry here to stay.. you think it is healthy
Mahendra,
Inter state/inter city / inter religious rivalries have always been a part of India's cricket ( starting with the Pentangular pre-independence).
I think ( and this is just me talking here),we are pretty comfortable with our identities, both regional and national.
As far as the IPL is concerned, I think we will know in two years time, when the transfer window opens..
Right now, the Indians are finding their feet with the whole concept ( except Mumbai and Delhi, who had had established teams previously and have no issues with choosing allegiances).
By year 2, I think the loyalties will get established, especially if the quality of cricket is high.
I think the make or break of this concept will happen when the transfers take place. Imagine Kolkattans, having invested heavily into Brendon McCallum ( emotionally and by buying apparel), now find him playing for the Daredevils.
And because of the ephemeral nature of player loyalties, I do not think the inter city/state rivalries will be as bitter or as visceral.
However, if we go World League, things may change.. For the worse.
Cheers,
Post a Comment